Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Yoga, Yoga, Yoga!

Today I was feeling especially lazy. I had spent my evening playing Xbox 360 with my husband and our friends, and I may have had a handful or two of turtle chex mix. On top of that we went to McDoanlds for lunch, so I was feeling gross and a little down about my days poor eating habits.

My husband works late on Saturdays, so I thought what better way to kill some boredom, utilize my time, and feel better about myself than getting out the Your Shape game and doing a quick workout? The problem I encounter here is that my living room is hardwood flooring, and my daughters bedroom is behind the thin living room walls. I couldn't be loud, so I knew a good cardio workout was out of the question. To be frank, most of the other workouts were out of the question, because any time you move on a hardwood floor it makes a lot of noise. I went through my Your Shape special challenges and chose the relax your body option. That may not be the exact term that they used, but it's fairly close. It's a yoga workout.

I will be the first one to tell you that I am not flexible in any way, shape, or form. I'm lucky that I can bend over enough to tie my shoes, and having a baby didn't help that any. However, I decided to give it a shot. I had begun a workout once before and had to quit in the middle of it, so I at least knew a little bit of what I was getting myself into.

For being a beginner when it comes to yoga, I found my workout was absolutely perfect. I felt like the moves were easy, and yet I was getting an actual workout, as my sweaty workout clothes will prove. I watched Jenny on screen and she showed me how to properly do the moves. I did them until my body matched hers, or until the screen told me what a fantastic, wonderful, great job I was doing. It's always nice to have that little ego boost when you don't feel confident about what you're doing. The workout was half an hour long, which I actually didn't realize when I began doing it. It was only after I finished and looked at the clock did I realize it was a 30 minute work out. However, I feel great about myself, and I burned over 300 calories! Hooray!

I'm pretty excited about the Your Shape workout. I've had a lot of friends rush out and buy Wii Fit only to tell me they were disappointed, or bored with it right away. I have also heard negative comments about EA Active being more of a game than a workout. The best part of Your Shape is that you don't have to use a Wii controller at all. The camera records your moves, and follows what you're doing-controller free! That's my absolute favorite part. I don't have to strap anything to myself, or make sure I'm holding a Wii-mote the right way while I'm also trying to concentrate on my work out!!

Overall, I loved the yoga routine. I think that with time I will become more flexible, and hopefully I'll be able to get better at it. I can always watch the tutorials on how to improve my postures as well. All in all, I'm just amazed that I was motivated enough to do 2 workouts in a row. Now I have to rest, so that I can start my regular workout routine on Monday.
((My new routine will be workouts on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.))

I will be sure to keep writing, as long as you keep reading. This ends day 2 of my six week challenge. Time to hit the showers!!

2 comments:

The Hay Family said...

Great job Sarah! I love the Wii Fit so far, but honestly I have only played around with it, I haven't actually started the workouts yet. Don't you love how these games keep track of calories burned? Of course, I have heard that any of these wii games are only a moderate workout at best, so after awhile you will probably need to add more to your workout. Maybe start using weights with the workout in a few weeks? Just a suggestion! :) Keep up with the great motivation, Sarah!

Sarah V. said...

I actually plan on doing m-w-f for the first 2 weeks, and then eventually doing it every day :) So hooray

Post a Comment