Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Weight Watchers!

Thats right, you read that correctly. Today, my husband and I attended (and joined!) our first ever weight watchers meeting. It was interesting to say the least. To be honest, the day didn't start off so well. You see, last night my husband took his nyquil before bed to get over his nasty cold, and I took my unisom. We set our alarms for 745 because the meeting started at 9. That gave us plenty of time to get up, dressed, and to feed the baby. Unfortunately, I turned the alarm off......THREE TIMES! I woke up at 8:30, told Andrew to get up, and I threw on clothes. He told me there was no way we could be ready in 30 minutes, but we did it! I threw my hair into a messy pony tail and it didn't look sexy, but who cares? I made it to the meeting with time to spare while grandpa watched the baby!

I will tell you that I never thought I'd spend so much money at one meeting. I knew it would be expensive the first time I went because there were 2 of us. We qualified for the family plan, so we only paid $40 for both of us to go. That would have been fine, but then we wound up each buying some W.W. smoothies and Drew wanted a points clicker. Whoops, another $31! I keep telling myself it's all for the good of my health.

I weighed myself this morning when I got up as I usually do. I was naked, and had just gone potty. My scale read 198.8 pounds as usual. Sadly, the weight watchers scale didn't agree. It told me that while I was fully clothed (jeans, belt, shoes, heavy hoodie, etc) I weighed in at 202 lbs. Sigh. There's that 200 number again. Oh well, this is a learning experience right? RIGHT!

So we attended our meeting, and Andrew was pretty disappointed. He was the only male in the entire group. I think we were the youngest 2 there as well. I just reminded him that this was only ONE meeting, and that on any other given day another guy might show up. If nothing else, I said, he could talk one of his friends into going. He is pretty excited about his points allowance though, because he is starting out with 39 a day. As for me, well I get 30. I'm more than okay with that, and I can't wait to try new foods and recipes. A big shout out to BROOKE For answering all of my pesky little w.w. questions, and inspiring me through her blog. I would have never had the courage to do this without her. PLUS, I've always been a skeptic and Brooke is LIVING, BREATHING PROOF that this program really can do amazing things. (In case you didn't know, she's lost 100 lbs in a years time.) So here's a big round of applause for you Brooke. *claps*

Todays topic of conversation was portion control. My mouth hit the floor when I saw how much actual portion sizes were compared to what people usually eat. It's no WONDER America is so overweight. Look at the sizes we eat. Look at the portions restaurants give us. It's insane! Andrew and I vowed today that we would only eat off of our salad plates, instead of the 14 inch plates we have at the house. When we get our own place we are going to restock our dishes with smaller sizes. I also learned that we both need to drink more water (DUH!) and move more. We are starting 30 minute walks every day this Monday. I'm also going to be doing my other workouts. Hopefully that in combination with staying on track w/my points will help my weight loss.

I set my goal as 10% of my weight. According to my book, that is 20 pounds to start with. I am setting my lifetime goal as 170 lbs. That is a 30 lb loss. The woman who was leading today (Cindy) said that on average most people lose 2 lbs a week by eating smarter. I really hope that's the case. I could lose 20 lbs in just a few short months if that were true. I'm hoping that by my 25th birthday  I will be at my goal weight. (13 months!) So, wish me luck there. And if ANYONE has any weight watchers recipes PLEASE email them to me!! (Savanord@live.com)

So that was my experience today. I hope that I can continue going to the meetings, and stay on track. I'm looking forward to trying something new, and exciting. Keep your fingers crossed for my husband and I. We have just begun our journey on the weight loss path, and we need all the help we can get.

Peace, Love, and French Vanilla Smoothies
Sarah V.

2 comments:

The Hay Family said...

Good luck to you and the hubby doing weight watchers! I am excited for you! You should tell Andrew to start a blog,too! hehehehe It is amazing how small portion sizes are, huh? It's sickening to think how poorly Americans eat. i was watching a movie the other day and they said, if you think about it, only 50 years ago a family had a huge chicken dinner about once a week, the rest of the week they ate smaller meals with less meat because meat wasn't as readily available then. America is disgusting, greedy, slobs!But we can change that!

ivoryfrog said...

good luck with WW! I used to go to WW a few years back, I lost 2 stone (28lbs) in I think about 3 months. The I had to stop classed because of the cost. I was always buying the bars etc from the group and on top of the group fee, it just got too expensive! It is a great plan though, really makes you think about what you are eating and helps with making healthier choices. :)

Post a Comment